Wednesday 30 July 2014

King of Misrule



Thursday 6th January, 1870  - night

What a nuisance Freddie is.  Truly, he has caused me to smudge ink on my book and ruin it!  It’s not fair, he ruins everything!  I hate him! 

Freddie came prancing into our room this evening as I was writing my earlier entry and announced that he was King of Misrule and then started jumping around the room, flinging his arms around and shouting “Misrule! Misrule! Misrule!”  He grabbed the cloth Mamma had placed on the table for dinner, knocked over the little vase of flowers Mamma had put there only five minutes earlier, and then tried to pull me from my chair just as I lifted my pen from the inkwell, causing me to smudge the  entry. 
  
Dad quickly came in from his office when he heard the commotion and promptly led Freddie back there by his ear. We heard dad give Freddie five whacks with the cane, “To teach him to have more respect and discipline”.  I don’t think Fred will ever learn that lesson; he’s more interested in games and pranks.


Anyway, now Dad has sought permission for me to write in the Barracks Library, where my brothers and sisters cannot interfere.  Annie is quite jealous; she says Dad has never favoured her with such a privilege and as the eldest, she should also be granted a similar privilege.  Can you believe it?  Annie is only marginally better than Fred, in that all she ever reads are stories about love and romance.  She never reads the newspaper, except for the serial, nor books about natural history, nor Shakespeare, nor Dickens.


Anyway, I am only allowed to use the Library if there is a responsible person present to supervise me.  Tonight Colonel Fittock is in here.  Dad explained to Colonel Fittock that I am keeping a diary and that Fred was making it difficult for me to concentrate on my writing. He asked if it would be  permissible for me to use the table in the library.  Colonel Fittock looked me in the eye as though he were staring into my soul, whilst he considered the request  and then replied "that it would be alright - under supervision".  As he was present (relaxing in a big leather chair) reading a report of the Crimean War, he would supervise me tonight.    
A British Colonel circa 1860s. Col Fittock is a fictional character.
Colonel Fittock has a gruff voice and scares me when he speaks. He asked me what I wrote about and I told him that I mainly wrote about things that happened that day.  For instance I was writing about how boring today was with no Twelfth Night celebrations, but now I have written about Freddie misbehaving and my being allowed to use the Library. Colonel Fittock asked if he could have a look at my penmanship.  I was too scared to tell him no, so I had to let him look.  I was terrified!  My hand was shaking as I passed my diary to him. I thought he would criticise my writing, which would not be fair – I have written this for myself, not for him to peruse as though it were a writing lesson with Miss Drury! 


But I was so wrong.  He complemented me on my “neat hand”.  He said that I obviously “took after my father”.  He asked me if I enjoyed school; I told him that I enjoyed reading and geography lessons, but I was not very good at needlework.  Colonel Fittock nodded his head and told me “To keep on with the good work.”  He then suggested that I should include some description of where I lived and some more detail about my family.  I was too scared to ask him why?  I mean, the diary is supposed to be for me, my secret thoughts.  Why would I need to describe where I live, when I know that?  It makes no sense to me.  He probably thinks I’m writing about those things now, but I’m not.

No comments:

Post a Comment