Tuesday 19 August 2014

Midget



Saturday, 8th of January
Annie is so mad.  When she came home from work last night, mamma told her to help me fold the bed sheets that Harriet and I had made such a mess of.  She stamped her foot and declared it was not fair! She goes out to work and brings in money for the family and so she should NOT have to do chores around the barracks as well. 

I agree with her, but mamma said that Harriet wasn’t old enough to do the job properly and that I was too small to do the job on my own.  Annie grabbed the sheets in a huff and glared at me with rancour, then said one word - "Fine."

Annie would not talk to me for the rest of the night, nor today, except to occasionally sneer at me and call me “midget”.  I can’t help being small, mamma is short too and she says that I take after her. I hope I grow taller as I get older, like Annie; she has shot up four inches in the past year and is now up to dad’s shoulder and taller than mamma. I don’t know why Annie has to blame me when it was mamma who told her to fold the sheets.

No comments:

Post a Comment